Monday, January 14, 2013

Musical Cups

I don't do stations as often as I'd like.  I've got great students, but I only have them for 30 minutes (ugh...way too short a time).  Bless their hearts, we usually end up rotating to only two or three stations.

However, this is a short activity that the students have used successfully in stations before.

All you need is:
1. Copies of the worksheet for each student
2. Pencils/markers for each student
3. Styrofoam cups (see picture below - I used three, but you could do four)

The students take a turn (I have them in groups of four, everyone gets one try) twisting the cup to create a three or four letter word (the word doesn't have to make sense - it could be B-G-F-D).  No more than two letters can be the same ("Egg" is acceptable but "BBB" is not).  Then, the students write down whose song it was (Suzie), what the letters were (FAD), and then draw it on the staff.  In my 5th grade class, the student needs to be more specific: (for example, "F" on a line, "A" on a space, "D" on a line).


No comments:

Post a Comment