Thursday, December 12, 2013

Veni Veni Emmanuel

"Just for fun" this month, my 5th graders are busy working on "Veni, Veni, Emmanuel".  This is a great piece for this time of year and it incorporates rhythms the students can read (such as the dotted half note) and pitches (like low la).  It has also opened up discussion about sacred and Renaissance music.

My kiddos are singing in the original Latin.  We also add in hand-drums (played with a soft mallet) on the half note beat, tambourines (they play the rhythm of "Gaude" only) and recorder (little over-achievers of mine).  These instruments really give our performance an authentic sound.

I made a little page for them to put into their interactive notebook.  See below:

I've been going over this song for about the last 5 or 6 lessons.  We discuss a fact each lesson.  I've created a PowerPoint for that (if you'd like to use these slides, you can copy and paste the pictures or email me at ehinz@lcps.k12.nm.us and I'll send them to you):







The students have also enjoyed watching and listening to other musicians perform this piece.  Our two favorites are:
And of course, Mrs. Fricke LOVES the cello:
We're even planning to do an impromptu performance of this for our teachers!  How exciting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment